We will give you an overview of herbicide resistance evolution in Australia before we explain why using crop competition tools is an important aspect of integrated weed management, and one of the WeedSmart Big 6.
We will discuss the four main aspects of crop competition: increased seeding rate, narrow row spacing, East – West sowing and competitive varieties.
We will cover both winter and summer cropping systems.
We have gathered experts from around the country to deliver research and practical information on aspects of crop competition in winter and summer cropping systems.
Get in on the action
There's videos, audio, PDF downloads, quizzes and worksheets to help you get the most out of our Crop Competition 101 course. Choose your own level of involvement.
Crop Competition 101 is broken into four sections:
Section 1: Understanding herbicide resistance evolution in Australia
Section 2: Understanding crop competition in a Winter Cropping System
Section 3: Understanding crop competition in a Summer Cropping System
Section 4: Bonus material
Time required: You can complete this course in 2 hours. You have lifetime access, so take the course at your own pace.
What you'll get from Crop Competition 101
- Access to our free course (with 9 modules) that covers the basics of crop competition, plus practical tips to help you incorporate these practices on-farm (for both summer and winter cropping).
- Simple step-by-step instructions from Professor John Broster (Charles Sturt University), Gurjeet Gill (University of Adelaide), Catherine Borger (DPIRD) and Michael Widderick (QDAF).
Ready to join us?
Click the button below to sign up for a free account. Signing up for a Diversity Era account also subscribes you to email updates from WeedSmart so we can keep you in the loop with info on new courses + WeedSmart news, events and webinars!
- How this course works
- Please read before continuing
- Introduction with Peter Newman
- Module 1 - Understanding herbicide resistance evolution in Australia with Dr John Broster
- Module 2 - Increasing seed rate in winter cropping systems with Gurjeet Gill
- Module 2 Quiz
- Module 3 - Early sowing of winter crops to increase yield and crop competition with Dr Gurjeet Gill
- Module 3 Quiz
- Module 4 - Delivering competition with narrow row spacing with Dr Gurjeet Gill
- Module 4 Quiz
- Module 5 - Delivering competition with vigorous crop traits with Dr Gurjeet Gill
- Module 5 Quiz
- Module 6 - East-west sowing to suppress weeds in winter cropping with Dr Catherine Borger
- Module 6 Quiz
- Module 7 - Delivering competition with vigorous crop traits in summer cropping systems with Dr Michael Widderick
- Module 7 Quiz
- Module 8 - Delivering competition with narrow row spacing in summer cropping systems with Dr Michael Widderick
- Module 8 Quiz
- Module 9 - Increasing seeding rate in summer cropping systems with Dr Michael Widderick
- Module 9 Quiz
- Thank you!
- Q&A webinar – hosted by Peter Newman with Gurjeet Gill and Michael
- Crop Competition resources from WeedSmart and GRDC
- Well done, you made it!
- Thanks for joining in! Let us know what you thought.